Undergraduate Research Fellowship Program
The 2022-2023 Undergraduate Research Fellowship application period is closed. The application deadline for the May 2022- May 2023 period was February 3, 2022. Students can select from year-long, two-semester, one-semester and summer fellowships.
1. Download a copy of the application template here, in pdf or word. 2. Use the application template to assemble all the information needed to complete both the student and the mentor sections of the application. 3. Students begin the submittal process by going to the portal https://aub.ie/urfellowship to fill out the application online. NOTE: Once you begin filling out the online form, you will not be able to save the form and return to it at a later time. Your information will not be saved and you will have to begin again. 4. Once the student has submitted the student section, the application will automatically be forwarded to the student’s mentor for completion. The mentor section now includes a student appraisal section; a separate letter of recommendation is no longer required.
- The program offers year-long, two-semester, one-semester, and summer fellowships.
- Fellowships can be conducted on campus or off campus, like in national or specialized laboratories, or abroad.
- Year-long fellowships begin in the summer and extend through the spring semester.
- One-semester fellowships can be conducted in any semester.
- Length of fellowship offered varies by college/school.
Fellows will be invited to participate in informal gatherings throughout the fellowship year to discuss their research activities and other topics of mutual interest. In addition to presenting at the annual Auburn University research symposium, fellows are also encouraged to present papers at regional or national meetings.
- Faculty who are interested in being a mentor to an undergraduate student should be committed to teaching the student, on a one-to-one basis, how to perform research.
- As part of the application, faculty mentors will provide a statement describing the proposed research activity and a proposed budget for the student's research.
- Faculty mentors are expected to spend a minimum of one hour per week with the fellow during an academic semester and/or at least two hours per week during the summer.
One Year Fellowships:
Fellowship Stipend: Amount up to $4,500. Project funds: Up to $1500.
- Time Expectation:
- During Summer: 35-40 hours/week for up to 10 weeks
- During Fall and Spring: 8 - 10 hours/week
Semester Fellowships (Fall and/or Spring):
- Fellowship stipend: Amount up to $1,500/semester. Project funds: up to $500.
- Time Expectation: During Fall and Spring: 8 - 10 hours/week
- Fellowship stipend: Amount up to $3,000. Project funds: up to $1000.
- Time Expectation: 35-40 hours/week for up to 10 weeks; for some colleges, 8-10 hours/week as in semester fellowships
Support for the program is provided by the Provost’s Office, the Office of the Vice President for Research, and the colleges and schools of Auburn University. The program is administered jointly by the Director of Undergraduate Research and the Associate Deans of participating schools and colleges.
A Steering Committee shall advise the Associate Provost and Vice President for Research on the programmatic activities and policies of the Undergraduate Research Fellowship Program. The Steering Committee will be composed of representatives from each college or school.
Fellowship Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
The application for the 2020-2021 fellowship is now closed. Check back in the fall for updates about our 2022-2023 fellowship opportunities.
1. Download a copy of the application form
2. Both the mentor and the student should use the blank form to assemble all the information needed to complete their respective sections of the application
3. Students begin the submittal process by going to the portal https://aub.ie/urfellowship to fill out the application online. NOTE: Once you begin filling out the online form, you will not be able to save the form and return to it at a later time. Your information will not be saved and you will have to begin again.
4. Once the student has submitted the student section, the application will automatically be forwarded to the student’s mentor for completion and upload of the letter of recommendation.
Although not common, fellowship renewal for a second year is possible. A new application must be submitted to be considered for fellowship renewal.
Co-op students who have completed their co-op work obligations by the end of spring semester may apply for a fellowship beginning in the summer semester. You may not hold a fellowship while being a co-op student.
Students receiving financial aid are welcome to compete for a fellowship. Specific questions regarding the stipend and the student’s financial aid ceiling should be directed to the Scholarship Office.
Project funds/stipends include money that can be used for travel in accordance with university regulations.
Fellows are permitted to conduct a portion of their research at an off campus site, such as a federal laboratory, other university, library, or field site. A local mentor is still required.
Last modified: September 12, 2022